Thursday, July 17, 2014

The I’tikaf in the last ten days of Ramadhan

Presented by: Sister Safiyyah

The I’tikaf in the last ten days of Ramadhan:
'Aisha reported that the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa salaam) used to practice I`tikaf in the last ten nights of Ramadan and used to say, "Look for the Night of Qadr in the last ten nights of the month of Ramadan" [Bukhari]
I`tikaf is the seclusion and staying in the mosque with the intention of becoming closer to Allah. This was the practise of the Prophet (sallallahu alayhi wa salaam) during the last ten days of Ramadan especially. He would do it during other months as well.
  • I’tikaf may be practiced in any mosque, as is evident in the Statement of Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala):


“.........And do not have sexual relations with them (your wives); while you are in I’tikaf in the mosques. These are the limits (set) by Allah; so approach them not. Thus does Allah make clear his Ayat (proofs, evidences and illegal things Allah’s set limits, orders ect.), to mankind that may become Al-Mittaqun (the pious).” (2:187)


  • I`tikaf has no specific time limit. It can be fulfilled by staying in the mosque with the intention of making i`tikaf for a long or short time.
  • I`tikaf is not restricted to men only, women also can do it (with the husband’s permission  
'Aisha (the wife of the Prophet) reported that the Prophet, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam, used to practice I`tikaf in the last ten days of Ramadan till he died and then his wives used to practice I`tikaf after him.[Bukhari]


I'tikaf for women:
Women can also do I'tikaf in the Masjid if the facilities are available to them as long as they have been given permission by their husbands.
There is a difference of opinion whether or not a women can do I'tikaf at home. The Hanbalis, some Shafi's & some Malikis say that a woman can only sit I'tikaf at the Masjid, whereas the Hanafi's, some Shafi's & some Malikis say it is permissable for a women to do I'tikaf at a designated place in her home because if her prayer is prefferred at home then surely her I'tikaf should also be preferred at home.
They state that a woman sitting I'tikaf at home can perform her domestic duties in her designated room for I'tikaf for eg. cooking, ironing etc. But it is best if she takes care of all her responsiblities si that she can devote as much time as possible to worship. She may not leave her desginated room unless it is necessery. The same rules apply to women sitting I'tikaf as they do for men. Even a women on her menses is permitted to sit I'tikaf at her designated place at home. She can do dhikr, dua, listening to Qur'an recitation & read, learn & ponder over the words & meanings of the Qur'an.


Hadiths on Itikaf Sahih Bukhari:


No comments:

Post a Comment